Embarking on a life lived outside of your home country is an enormous undertaking. From applying for visas to moving and settling in, there are many things to be considered. As an American, moving abroad gives rise to a unique set of challenges by having to file a US tax return wherever you live in the world.

For wealthy Americans, one of the most common routes to qualify for leave to remain in the UK is through the Tier 1 (Investor) Visa. To be eligible, there is a requirement to invest at least £2 million in share and/or loan capital in actively trading UK-registered companies. After five years, an individual can then apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, which can be accelerated to three years if £5 million is invested or two years if £10 million is invested.

It sounds simple, but there is a lot more than meets the eye when you overlap the Tier 1 rules with Uncle Sam’s requirements (that’s the biggest challenge!).

Multiple tax returns

This content is for members only

Login to read the article, or sign up for free!